29 July 2010 : Written by Geoff Vaughan
Camping is perfect for mountain biking The clue is in the word 'mountain'! How many of us live in the beautiful mountains surrounded by amazing mountain bike terrain? Well I am guessing not that many. The need to travel to some of the UK best tracks and trails means either very long days of driving or staying over night.
Fortunately we are blessed with perfectly located campsites with great facilities for mountain bikers. Some even go as far as to provide drying rooms and bike washes on site. Others provide excellent local biking information straight from reception while some sites have bike hire on site.
The UK is full of them. Bridleways are great for biking, so are canal and river footpaths. (Check local rules for bike use though) But really if you have a mountain bike you want to get it muddy or at least use some of the 287 gears it has. This is where purpose built or designated mountain bike trails come into their own. Single track is basically a track the width of your bike and therefore suitable for......................... a single bike! You can guess what double track is!
Mountain Bike Centres (Purpose built facility dedicated solely to mountain biking. Start point for multiple routes of different grading)
There are 6 cracking centres in Wales.
- Afan Forest Park Campsite nearby (Fastest growing mountain bike area in the UK)
- Coed Y Brenin Campsite nearby (Mountain biking mecca!)
- Nant yr Arian (High level wilderness riding)
- Cwmcarn Campsite nearby (Under half an hour from the Severn bridge)
- Coed Llandegla (Tracks suitable for all levels completely enclosed in the forest)
- Coed Trallwm & Elan valley (Remote part of Wales nestled in the mountains)